Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Images Gallery
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Level 10 user

Teardrop sculpture in Bayonne

This massive 9/11 memorial sculpture with a hanging teardrop looks good. It is 100 ft tall, weighs 175 ton, and being installed at the Bayonne waterfront, across the Hudson River overlooking the previous NYC World Trade Center site. It is by Russian artist Zurab Tsereteli.

And here is a detailed write-up about it.

Based on other news reports, this monument attracts controversy although it has nothing to do with the tall sculpture. It is more to do with the accuracy of the engraved names of all the 9/11 victims.

Back to the sculpture, I am thinking about the safety of this very big teardrop hanging down like a pendulum. As NYC is not in an earthquake zone, there is no problem here. But has it ever been hit by hurricanes ?

Last edited by Merlion : 07-29-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Level 7 user

Re: Teardrop sculpture in Bayonne

I don't know about the storms around NY but upon looking at the sculpture it looks really secure. It's very interesting conceptually also.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Level 10 user

This 9/11 memorial in New Jersey called 'Tear of Sorrow' has just been unveiled by the Russian artist Tsereteli.

Moscow sculptor unveils terrorism-victims memorial in U.S

12/ 09/ 2006
BAYONNE POINT, U.S., September 12 (RIA Novosti) - A 100-feet monument of Moscow sculptor commemorating victims of terrorism in the United States has been unveiled in New Jersey.

Zurab Tsereteli's Tear of Sorrow to the more than 3,000 victims of 9/11 attacks and the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center in New York left St. Petersburg for the U.S. last August. The names of those who lost their lives are inscribed on the bronze monument.

The 150-metric ton monument is a gift from the Russian government. ....

The centerpiece of the monument - a huge crystal sculpture representing a tear with water pumped inside it - sits atop a 30-meter-tall bronze-plated iron stele cut in half.

Bill Clinton and Secretary of the Homeland Security Department Michael Chertoff attended the unveiling ceremony. .....
Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

Great statue – a bulls eye. I’ve been a sucker for Russian art, ballerina’s and music for years now. Something in it always strikes a strong cord in me. Must be those long winter nights or something that pushes their creativity so strongly.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Level 10 user

Canadians write great screen plays......I like it too, but if I just happened on it and didn't know a thing about it I would think it a statement about birth or rebirth. Maybe it is.........

Thatch
Old 09-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Thatch its not that cold in canada haha
Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSong
Great statue – a bulls eye. I’ve been a sucker for Russian art, ballerina’s and music for years now. Something in it always strikes a strong cord in me. Must be those long winter nights or something that pushes their creativity so strongly.
Oh dear. So does it mean tropical countries are bad for creativity. (Just joking).

Back to your point. I'm not downgrading the Russian creativity. But I think it is rather the active central efforts to promote and support the best in the arts - visual, dance and music. They had a central authority for a long time. Previous they were the czars, which were replaced by the Soviet Presidents.