Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Level 10 user

Naked Performance Artist

Being no expert, I got to understand that performance art is regarded as a modern sculptural art. Thus I'll put this online news report here, about the show of an Irish peformance artist Kira O'Reilly in a gallery in Conwall, funded by the British taxpayers. (Warning, this news article has a photo of nudity. )

It's art, says the naked woman who'll hug a dead pig on stage

After pickled sheep, unmade beds and painting with elephant dung, some questioned where modern art could go next.

Kira O'Reilly will provide her own answer today by spending four hours naked, hugging a dead pig - at the taxpayer's expense. ....

She claims the bizarre exhibition is an attempt to 'identify' with the pig, which she cuts with a knife during the show.

Visitors to the Newlyn Art Gallery in Newlyn, Cornwall - funded by taxpayers and the lottery - will be allowed to watch her for ten minutes. ....

Miss O'Reilly's fee for the performance is thought to have been drawn from £30,000 given to the gallery by the Arts Council England. ....

Old 08-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Naked Performance Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
Being no expert, I got to understand that performance art is regarded as a modern sculptural art. Thus I'll put this online news report here, about the show of an Irish peformance artist Kira O'Reilly in a gallery in Conwall, funded by the British taxpayers. (Warning, this news article has a photo of nudity. )

It's art, says the naked woman who'll hug a dead pig on stage

Kira O'Reilly will provide her own answer today by spending four hours naked, hugging a dead pig - at the taxpayer's expense. ....

She claims the bizarre exhibition is an attempt to 'identify' with the pig, which she cuts with a knife during the show.
Merlion, you always find the most fascinating, outrageous and bizarre news stories LOL!
Aside from the bestiality overtones intentional or not, this is just a sickening display of what's wrong with just about everything.

I remember another performance of Rebecca Loos and a pig and how outraged people were
Old 08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Level 10 user

I guess it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Given my ideas of edgy performance art, it's pretty much what I'd expect. Getting naked with a dead pig is pretty weird, but it's just another juxtaposition of random, absurd, freaky stuff to get attention. Yawn.

As a sometime supporter of PETA, I find their representative's comments embarassing. I like the idea of a large organization that opposes cruelty to animals, but there are plenty of boneheads working for them. I don't see why it is an animal cruelty issue, as it is just a meat pig that was going to be eaten anyway. All the insults and amatuer psychoanalysis on her part make her look ridiculous.

Overall, I guess I find the article itself more offensive than the performance piece. They're obviously just going for the sensational rabble rousing, repeatedly mentioning the taxpayer money and soliciting a reply from PETA in the first place. People actually wanting to understand something about the show would probably rather hear the opinions of a few knowledgable people from the art community. Duh. Is that supposed to be a serious paper, or is it a gossip tabloid?
Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatomist1
I guess it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Given my ideas of edgy performance art, it's pretty much what I'd expect. Getting naked with a dead pig is pretty weird, but it's just another juxtaposition of random, absurd, freaky stuff to get attention. Yawn.

As a sometime supporter of PETA, I find their representative's comments embarassing. I like the idea of a large organization that opposes cruelty to animals, but there are plenty of boneheads working for them.
PeTA has nothingbut boneheads and has been quoted as stating everything they do is a publicity stunt, this group is probaly the worst of the lot, they have even supported convicted arsonists with money that people such as yourself donated. They were recently in the news when it was discovered 2 of their employees were adopting healthy animals under false pretenses and then killing them in the PeTA van and dumping the bodies in a shopping mall garbage container. They have been charged.

Might want to do a little RESEARCH on this group, here's a good site to start with;

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA.

2)Despite its constant moralizing about the “unethical” treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, PETA has killed over 10,000 dogs and cats at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. During 2003, PETA put to death over 85 percent of the animals it collected from members of the public.

3) PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. During the 1990s, PETA paid $70,200 to an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) activist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory. In his sentencing recommendation, a federal prosecutor implicated PETA president Ingrid Newkirk in that crime. And PETA vegetarian campaign coordinator Bruce Friedrich told an animal rights convention in 2001 that “blowing stuff up and smashing windows” is “a great way to bring about animal liberation.”

------------------------

If you want to suport a REAL animal protection group, take a look at Pasado's Safe Haven - they did a LOT of work during Katrina before any of the mega-bucks groups even bothered and they are still investigating the deaths of 30 dogs trapped in a school and brutally killed with a law enforcement type weapon- all were collected and post mortems on each obtained to find the evidence to convict.
This is the ONLY group I have donated money to, the rest- including HSUS all show VERY shady financials and other irregularities when checked.

http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/

The ASPCA In NYC is another good legitimate one.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Level 6 user

If you would like to see the performer's close relationship with the pig and read her own statement, click on the following http://www.tract-liveart.co.uk/Kira%...%27Reilly.html
Old 08-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Level 10 user

Well, part of it says;

The work left me with an undercurrent of pigginess, unexpected fantasies of mergence and
interspecies metamorphoses began to flicker into my consciousness. Strange dreams of porcine/
human flesh manifestations that I realised I wanted to realise in the laboratory.
----------------------
Sounds like zoo-philia/bestiality or necro-bestiality in some form to me, I don't have any problem with zoo-philia or bestiality in the context of love/affection, but this is not love/affection nor art!

It's more for shock value and geared to or appealing to those oddballs who enjoy necrophilia, body modifications, tongue splitting, genital surgery, piercing, cutting, self surgery and playing with blood and a few other things I won't include.
That they would give her the equiv of about $58,000 US dollars for this performance is sickening- she's playing games with a dead pig.
This is even worse than that jar of urine with the upside-down cross in it and I thought THAT was bad.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:33 AM
Level 10 user

Landseer,

I've seen all that stuff before. If YOU do some further research, you'll look back on your post as mostly regurgitated, slanted propaganda. They aren't a popular group and they mostly get negative coverage in the mainstream media. If you understand something about how entrenched certain attitudes are in our culture, how many billions of dollars the meat industry is worth, and the role of concentrated multinational corporate ownership of the media, the fact that PETA serves as a cheap scape goat for sensationalist 'news' stories makes sense.

Euthanasia is a necessary part of animal control, especially in the south where irresponsibile pet ownership and breeding are far more out of control. What the people in question did is hardly the horror it was made out to be. It's the kind of thing that is done many times over in shelters all over the country all the time. What they did was a little gross and violated local waste disposal ordinances. Gasp. With other anecdotes about PETA - sometimes the things reported really are stupid, sometimes not so much, if you are willing to think critically and do actual research, as opposed to casual googling for dreck with skewed intentions, you would see your generalizations are exaggerated and predicated on a few sensationalized anecdotes. PETA does many things and has orders of magnitude of more members and activities than you've ever heard of, because what they are doing is relatively boring and not considered newsworthy to the kind of mainstream media pulp that you cite.

I also support Pasado's Safe Haven. I probably give them a lot more than you do. However, they are not a similar organization to PETA. They run a small shelter and help individual animals. They are expanding somewhat, and doing things that involve travel and traveling services, but they are nowhere near large enough to make the slightest dent in the kind of situation those charged workers were trying to effect in even a small corner of the south.

PETA mostly operates in the much larger realm of national and international politics to influence opinion and policy. There simply isn't another organization that advocates against cruelty to animals as they do. They are trying to make changes in patterns of behavior that have to do with unwanted pets and tortured meat animals counted in millions and even tens of millions. Your false dilemma fallacy of posing the two as an either/or shows that you don't remotely understand the scale or mathematics of what is going on with pets and the meat industry in the US. It's like saying there's no need to support Amnesty International because you bailed your cousin out of jail that one time.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 AM

I too support PETA and take with a grain of salt criticisms against them - for many of the reasons above.

The naked pig hugging however did little for me.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracotta
If you would like to see the performer's close relationship with the pig and read her own statement, click on the following [url]
I looked at the artist's website. Here're examples of her statements.

I dream I am laying next to pigskin, pig alive but skin open to no interior. I am stroking the ears closely.

When I cut pig I have an urge to delve both hands into the belly, to meld into her warm flesh, my blood and her blood, for a moment the same temperature before one lowers cataclysmically.

You stupid, stupid cow.

The primary culture of pig dermal fibroblasts proliferates with abundance.

I am beginning to smell that this is a psycho case.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Material aside, I'm a bit shocked at some of the responses in the thread.

Lest we forget that art can easily venture into discomfort and ugliness and at the same time be just as valuable as any depiction of any unassuming ballerina or bowl of cherries.

Comfort was clearly breached, and as a result, some of the responses seem to be nothing short of derision, practically labeling Kira O'Reilly's mental state as "lacking" in various capacities.

"Oddballs" and "psychos"? Breaching subjective moral value doesn't open the floodgates for such polarizing language to be tossed around.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq
"Oddballs" and "psychos"? Breaching subjective moral value doesn't open the floodgates for such polarizing language to be tossed around.
I can't answer for others. Just because I use the term 'psycho' does not mean that I toss it around based on superficial information. I did explain the basis why I said "I am beginning to smell it is a psycho case". This also implies I do not label her as such, pending further information.

Perhaps I should add that I did even cross check the definition of the word 'psycho' before I sent off my earlier posting.

Last edited by Merlion : 08-21-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 AM
ISC Member

Hi, This is NOT art! This piece is done by a person with not one creative bone in her body. She wants to identify with the pig? What kind of concept is that? I identify with a pig every time I eat a piece of bacon or a pork chop, but that doesn't make it art. Maybe if I was naked, Hmmm, would that make a difference, I don't think so.
This is what you get when no one is willing to say, "that's stupid!".
It's not cutting edge art, it's just cutting pork chops!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 08-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Level 10 user

[quote=anatomist1]

Landseer,

I've seen all that stuff before. If YOU do some further research, you'll look back on your post as mostly regurgitated, slanted propaganda.

if you are willing to think critically and do actual research, as opposed to casual googling for dreck with skewed intentions, you would see your generalizations are exaggerated and predicated on a few sensationalized anecdotes.

Quote:
Your false dilemma fallacy of posing the two as an either/or shows that you don't remotely understand the scale or mathematics of what is going
Well, first of all I will tell you that not only did I WORK at an animal shelter in the 80's, I assisted the vet with euthanasia. I WAS a member many years ago till I did some research into this group and cancelled my membership, since then I have done a LOT of reading/research on this group over the last 20 odd years. As a life-long dog owner and former show exhibitor I had further cause to learn more about their subversive and hidden agendas- I did not just do a little Google search and find that url and paste it here with some naive emotional fanfare.
So with that in mind, now that you know a bit more of my background and where I'm coming from- your comments that I don't know what's going on is off base- I know all too well what's going on and all too well about this group, seems you just need to do a little more research.

I mentioned Pasado or shelter only as an alternative to spend your money, your $50 would go a LOT further with a local animal shelter than it would some mega conglomerate whose ideas on preventing cruelty is putting half nude girls in cages and spashing "blood" on people or dumping cow manure in parking lots.
Pasado's and the like go out and get dirty and do the dirty physical work, and their volunteers come home afterwards smeared with unmentionables while Peta staff sits in their nice A/C headquarters planning where the next load of bull manure will be dumped.

Quote:
I also support Pasado's Safe Haven.
but they are nowhere near large enough to make the slightest dent in the
Size doesn't matter, it's action and how much of the donated money is used for the cause and not going into the director's bank accounts or more excessive fund raising.

Quote:
There simply isn't another organization that advocates against cruelty to animals as they do.
Try the ASPCA- first and oldest in the nation, try your LOCAL animal shelter or rescue group which I'm sure will put your cash donation to a lot more physical good right in your own home town- ALL of the cash.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) does not meet the following 2 Standards for charity accountability;

Standard 2 : Number of Board Members - Soliciting organizations shall have a board of directors with a minimum of five voting members.

• PETA does not meet this Standard because it has three (3) voting members of the board.
  • Standard 17 : Web Site Disclosures - Include on any charity websites that solicit contributions, the same information that is recommended for annual reports, as well as the mailing address of the charity and electronic access to its most recent IRS Form 990.
    • PETA does not meet this Standard because its website does not include all of the recommended information for those charity websites that solicit for donations. Specifically, it does not provide electronic access to the organization’s most recent IRS Form 990.
  • Paid Staff Size: 187
Total Program Expenses: $21,954,445

Total Income $29,309,246

• Fund raising costs were 10% of related contributions. (Related contributions, which totaled $27,848,439, are donations received as a result of fund raising activities.) PETA incurred joint costs of $4,259,669 for informational activities and materials that included fund raising materials. Of those costs, $3,306,919 was allocated to program expenses, and $952,750 was allocated to fund raising expenses.

Fund Raising: 10.58%

http://charityreports.give.org/Publi...CharityID=1160

Now try the ASPCA on that site;

Stated Purpose: "to promote humane principles, prevent cruelty, and alleviate fear, pain, and suffering in animals."
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) meets the standards for charity accountability.
Total Program Expenses $33,513,597 Total Income
$53,675,442 Board Size: 23
Paid Staff Size: 285

===========

The ASPCA spends about $11 million more on programs.

Still, there's no escaping the facts that PeTA has spent your donations on such things as bailing out convicted arsonists, ALF and people who destroyed or firebomb University and other facilities- basically our own home-grown terrorists.

Quote:
They aren't a popular group and they mostly get negative coverage in the mainstream media.

Maybe THAT fact should tell you something and be a wakeup call.

Last edited by Landseer : 08-21-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Level 6 user

Thanks to everyone posting PETA info here. The original accusation about the mental health of the performer was made by PETA, but in a way I think PETA isn't the topic - it's art, artist, and pig. I am not happy at a pig being treated like this,
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Level 3 user

I find the images repulsive, that is, what they represent. Of course, this has nothing to do with whether or not it's art . . . as others have already pointed out.

Personally, I have a hope that most art is about or about seeking beauty. I won't hold anyone else to this, and if all art was about this I'd be worried. Just me.

This performance, very visceral (which in and of itself is not a bad thing), very disturbing — again, though, in and of itself not a bad thing.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracotta
The original accusation about the mental health of the performer was made by PETA,
Another one of their "publicity stunts" no doubt, comment about treatment of a DEAD pig that was already in the "system" for someone's breakfast table.

Quote:
I am not happy at a pig being treated like this,
The pig was DEAD, if not for this purpose then it would have been brutally killed and cut up for pork chops and sausages, I would be more inclined to worry about the mental health of someone who thinks playing around with and cutting open a dead pig on stage as "art" is okay. What's next? pull out the intestines and weave necklaces out of them and call those art?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Level 7 user

Its about as creative as stacking peebles in a corner and calling it art...
I guess whatever floats your boat..
Old 08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Level 10 user

As for PETA, I think you still misunderstand their purpose Landseer. They are in the propaganda and political performance art business. They are radical. They are challenging behaviors and attitudes that are nearly universal in our society - people love to eat cheap meat and don't want to think about the consequences of their own behaviors. If you look into the history of any major socio-political change in the US, you'll see that the first steps always look futile and foolish to most people at the time, and rarely are the people willing to do them the type who follow every little rule or never make mistakes. If you think general popularity at a given time or positive mainstream media coverage is some kind of barometer of truth or worthiness, that's really quite pathetic, especially given the nature of what we're talking about. I still have no problem with throwing PETA an occasional $50 or $100. My checks for shelters are more regular and substantially larger. I see no either/or dilemma.

As for the performance artist in question, I think the level of that portion of this conversation is embarassingly low for a bunch of artists. It's about what you'd find if you posted it someplace where most people lacked college education and didn't care about art.

The accusations of craziness on the part of the artist sound particularly naive - for all we know she inhabits a character in her artwork and when she makes those statements... like Stephen Colbert does on his show. Think about what you'd look like if you made similar criticisms of him based on taking what you saw on his show at literal surface value.

This is why I said the article sucked. I suspect the art is just sensationalist drivel, but I'd still like to hear what some people who are into this sort of art have to say in terms of context and analysis. Not enough to go seeking them out myself, though.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
As for PETA, I think you still misunderstand their purpose Landseer. They are in the propaganda and political performance art business. They are radical.
Well, one last comment on this and then I'm going to drop it as I've said my piece on them

They are anti pet ownership, so if you don't mind supporting a group who has stated to the media that they promote extinction of at least one domestic pet: "...neuter neuter neuter till our pathetic version of the cat is EXTINCT."
Yes, propaganda and performance is what they are about, your local shelter is about directly saving and improving LIVES, with usually 100% of the donations going to the ANIMALS.

Here are a few random links to the arrests of two PeTA employees, and the fact that they were caught only by accident due to the bodies that were dumped in the mall garbage containers being discovered tells me, and most smart people that this is NOT an isolated incident with just TWO employees, these just happen to be THE two who were CAUGHT by accident;
----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Veterinarians and animal-control officers said the PETA workers had promised to find homes for the animals rather than euthanize them, according to police.
Police charged Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, Va., and Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, Va., each with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty and eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposal of dead animals. They were released on bond.

Police said they found 18 dead animals in the bin and 13 more in a van registered to the activist group, all from shelters in the state's northeastern corner.

Investigators arrested the two workers after staking out a garbage bin where animals had previously been dumped, police said yesterday.

A message left for Cook at PETA headquarters was not returned."

Don't take my word for it, just read the Seattle Times and other newspapers:

"North Carolina officials say they have been investigating reports of dead animals at the shopping center for over a month. Authorities say there were four other incidents of dead animals found in the shopping center dumpster, each on a Wednesday night. Surveillance was conducted this week, resulting in the two arrests. "

"Additionally, the two employees were charged with three felony counts of obtaining property by false pretenses.

PETA employees Andrew B. Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, and Adria J. Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, were served with warrants on 22 felony charges of animal cruelty and the three felony charges of obtaining property by false pretense

At least 80 animals were found. Additionally, the PETA employees promised an Ahoskie veterinarian they would find new homes for three cats, but they euthanatized them instead.

PETA Employees Face 31 Felony Animal-Cruelty ...
When Ahoskie police arrested PETA employees Andrew Cook and Adria Hinkle last night, they found 18 dead dogs in a nearby shopping-center dumpster (including ...
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/pressRelease_detail.cfm/release/109

Political Dogs: The Truth About PETA is Revealing
PETA Employees Arrested
For Animal Cruelty ... More information is coming out about PETA, after two of its employees were arrested for animal cruetly. ...
http://www.politicaldogs.org/2005/06/truth-about-peta-is-revealing.htm

The Seattle Times: Nation & World: Two PETA employees arrested in ...
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002339482_webpeta17.html

Quote:
The accusations of craziness on the part of the artist sound particularly naive - for all we know she inhabits a character in her artwork and when she makes those statements...
I don't think you will find any psychiatric , medical or other resource that will say playing with, laying intimately nude with, and cutting open a DEAD pig on stage, or the obsession with the blood etc is indicative of any degree of normalcy or acceptability. Sorry, but there are just some things that cross over that fine line and that is one of them, just as it's not acceptable or normal to steal skulls out of the cemetary to hang on the wall or something- seen that in the news too.

Quote:
This is why I said the article sucked. I suspect the art is just sensationalist drivel, but I'd still like to hear what some people who are into this sort of art have to say in terms of context and analysis. Not enough to go seeking them out myself, though.
You might get a more positive set of views on this from participants on a site like ogrish.com goregasm.com bestiality.com and hundreds of other shock, sex and gore sites where people post photos of such things and write about how "cool" it is, this isn't art it's "gore"
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Level 10 user

Anyone who has any sense, and knows anything about animal control is not going to be scandalized by the tale of a few dozen animals being euthanized. As I recall, the two people in question contend that the local shelters are horribly mismanaged and represent a cruelty problem in themselves. Either way, I just don't understand why someone like you becomes so obsessed with an anecdote like this, or with sensationalist media anecdotes in general. I understand even less the tendency to formulate opinions about the world based on these - as evidence goes, reading a few paragraphs about some people or some complex situation from Reuters or a tabloid barely even qualifies as heresay... it's like glimpsing the cover a book out of the window of a moving vehicle and thinking you are an expert on it. Yet you become so certain about these opinions that you are willing to launch into belligerent public rants so bizarre and ill-founded that a person like me feels an obligation to respond to them, so that such expressions aren't left published without response. What results is a conversation moderators consider an off-topic offense that needs to be removed. It's really getting tiresome.

As for your further opinions on the performance artist, see above. Despite pasting my quotes, you completely ignored the content of what I said and responded with something I can only describe as abject bigotry.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Anyone who has any sense, and knows anything about animal control is not going to be scandalized by the tale of a few dozen animals being euthanized.
Look at the OVERALL picture and history of these people in this group, it's one thing piled on top of another on top of another for years, this incident is just ONE, one of many. After the arrest, at least a couple of munipalities CANCELLED their contracts with this group, guess they saw something you didn't.

Quote:
As I recall, the two people in question contend that the local shelters are horribly mismanaged and represent a cruelty problem in themselves.
However it was- THEY- were arrested, charged and convicted weren't they? and THEY got their mug shots in the papers and on TV and I saw the upset and angry vet who was interviewed that they stole animals from under false pretenses.

Quote:
Either way, I just don't understand why someone like you becomes so obsessed with an anecdote like this, or with sensationalist media anecdotes in general.
I'm not obsessed with that, I'm more concerned about my RIGHTS as a life-long dog owner to even HAVE a dog in the future due to freak lunatic animal rights groups like this one who have stated they will be happy to see domestic pets EXTINCTED and feel pet ownership is the same as SLAVERY, and who equate a rat with a boy.

It is misinformed folks who continue sending money to groups like this who actively support arsonists and criminals as well as other groups who burn down University facilities, homes and more- like ALF, Earth First, Greenpeace and others listed by the FBI. As such I figured you were misinformed as many are about these groups due to their tear jerking Hollywood or Madison Ave style ads so I informed you, so if you wish to continue supporting a domestic terrorist group feel free, some day you might not be able to own a pet thanks to them.

Quote:
I understand even less the tendency to formulate opinions about the world based on these - as evidence goes, reading a few paragraphs about some people or some complex situation from Reuters or a tabloid barely even qualifies as heresay... it's like glimpsing the cover a book out of the window of a moving vehicle and thinking you are an expert on it. Yet you become so certain about these opinions that you are willing to launch into belligerent public rants so bizarre and ill-founded that a person like me feels an obligation to respond to them,
I have studied this group and others like it for MANY years- at least since 1982 or so when I was a MEMBER, read many sources not just the net and a few web sites, this is not some opinion I formulated over the last couple of weeks based on an arrest and a couple of Google searches!

Quote:
It's really getting tiresome.
I'm not the one who brought up this group up in the first place- YOU did when you stated you are a supporter, since it was brought up *I* felt compelled to expose them for what they are, you chose to defend them, I didn't force you to, do they even NEED you to defend them?
In the future, I might suggest you don't respond to my posts, and save yourself some aggravation, here is a link for you anatomist, if you click on this it will set your configuration to "ignore" my posts so that they are no longer visible to you;

Click here today-------->
http://www.sculpture.net/community/p...=ignore&u=2689

If you bring up this group again in the future I'm going to expose them again.

As far as "off topic" goes, please note what the description for this folder is;
"Open and off topic discussions"
As long as people are not cursing or threating one another or using foul language in here this discussion may be tiresome to you but it does fit the description of the purpose of the folder: Open and off topic discussions.

Quote:
As for your further opinions on the performance artist, see above. Despite pasting my quotes, you completely ignored the content of what I said and responded with something I can only describe as abject bigotry.
Fine then, you go and enjoy the performance of the nude lady with the dead and decaying pig on her lap and her bloody hands with the knife cutting into it while she "melds" with the pig as "one" and call that "art", a psychiatrist would call it something else but it certainly wouldn't be "bigotry" I suggest a read of the DSM lV book.

Last edited by Landseer : 08-23-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:01 AM

I have to reiterate, breaching moral subjectivity is no excuse for such an accusatory display of "criticism."

My personal opinion regarding the piece is of no bearing whatsoever at this point, but I do think it merits legitimate discussion which is something that has been tossed away throughout the thread.

I'll bite.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I dream I am laying next to pigskin, pig alive but skin open to no interior.
I am stroking the ears closely.

When I cut pig I have an urge to delve both hands into the belly, to meld into her warm
flesh, my blood and her blood, for a moment the same temperature before one lowers
cataclysmically.

You stupid, stupid cow.

The primary culture of pig dermal fibroblasts proliferates with abundance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a carefully constructed mise-en-sçene, but the reviewer seems too preoccupied with veiled jabs at the idea of the performance. Any instance of bookending an article/review/commentary with, "at the taxpayers' expense," makes the slant abundatly clear.

Upon seeing the two images and discovering that O'Reilly spends a set duration of time with the pig, I immediately thought of a Kafkaesque construct where the subject/speaker is externalized in a real-world setting through an exceedingly exaggerated setting--pig-on-stage--but the synthesis is internalized, (almost exclusively) through two gestures: The 10 minute/4 hour spectator-artist limit and offering of finite prose.
The spectator-artist dialogue is available only through this lens.

O'Reilly's prose is a bit muddled in its approach. From beginning to end, it wavers between a relatively informal formulation of her thoughts, but needlessly juts out toward the end into awkward versification, grinding the dialogue to an abrupt halt with an unnecessary inclusion of specialized word-choice.

It would benefit O'Reilly for her prose to be explicitly conscious of the beats, or lack thereof, to stamp a distinct notion of time and even rhythm upon the impressions of the spectators.

The artist page largely insinuates notions of a pig-O'Reilly duality, but ignores the rest of the construct:

" Performing or rather rehearsing that scenario four times with pig cadavers; using the pig as dummy, stand in, double, twin, other self, doll, imaginary self; making fiercely tender and ferocious identifications with the pig..."

It is already abundantly clear that any literally visceral relationship will have overtones of self-evisceration, no one needs to see the performance in person to understand this, but what is more intruiging is the use of a prop-as-drone in the form of a large swan(?) clearly positioned towards O'Reilly and the pig, very upright in its 'monitoring' of all 4 hours of the performance.

In my opinion, the bird/drone has no real symbolic significance whatsoever, other than to provide a visual cue that there is a tangible and constant object/thing providing a container to the performance, delineating between artist and spectator dialogue.

Aside from overtones of Kafka, another influence can be seen through Maya Deren, who's films often provided the same levels of extreme discomfort in very sparse settings much like is seen with O'Reilly's performance.

The lingering difference between O'Reilly and that of Kafka/Deren is pacing. O'Reilly's mishandled prose really disrupts the clear boundaries she establishes via the 10minute/4 hour timeframe. The spectator has no other indicator of the extreme time difference between their 10 minute viewing and O'Reilly's 4 hour meditation.

Despite some deficincies and the fact that this sort of construct has been explored before in the written word and film, I give full credit to O'Reilly for her completely solipsist approach to the performance. As a result, The focus is more than explicit. Completely absent are deliberately obtuse diatribes explaining some endless impact upon all people and things, etcetera, ad naseum.

Last edited by obseq : 08-24-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Level 10 user

Translated into English all this says what exactly Obseq?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Level 10 user

Obseq,

My general comment is that I weigh my words carefully and do not toss them around. But I have no way of telling if mine are included or excluded in your repeated blanket accusations.

I mentioned the word 'psycho', but I do have background knowledge of psychology. And as I said earlier which you didn't respond, I did double check on the meaning of the word before I post.

And the few paragraphs you requoted, first posted by me when I mentioned the word psycho, were the artist's own statements in her website.

Last edited by obseq : 08-26-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Off-topic, personal comment
Old 08-24-2006, 04:54 AM

Everyone take a deep breath.

There is plenty of room for diverse and differing opinion here BUT if the tone of this thread continues to be confrontational it will be closed. This would be disappointing, as I feel that we should discuss art and issues that matter personally...

If we question the meaning of the few words in a sentence and take affront, begin by contacting the member (or a moderator) by private message, or simply ignore it.

None of the moderators here wish to intervene but neither do we want to see those with pertinent comment turned away by bickering.