Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Level 2 user

Most Expensive Sculpture?

The New York Times recently reported that a Jackson Pollock drip painting owned by David Geffen has been sold for $140 million. If confirmed, this would make it the most expensive painting in the world.

I'm curious if anyone knows which sculpture shares the same honor for being the most expensive? The last that I heard, it was Brancusi's "Bird in Space" which sold for $27.5M at a Christie's auction in 2005. Seems like a real bargain compared to the Pollock.

-unigami

Last edited by unigami : 11-06-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Most Expensive Sculpture?

One year ago, David Smith's large steel sculpture Cubic 28 was claimed to be record price. See here. But it was $23.8 M. So the 'Bird in space' may have topped it.

I personally like this Bird much more than Cubic.

About record prices of paintings and sculptures, it is true, that of paintings are a few times higher than that of sculptures.

The reasons I suppose are that more people paint than sculpt. More people collect paintings than sculptures. And it is physically easier for collectors to display and store paintings than sculptures, especially the large ones.

Last edited by Merlion : 11-06-2006 at 10:34 PM.