Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Construction techniques and processes
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Level 1 user

Sculp Metal, does anyone still make it?

I've been trying to find Sculp Metal, but the company closed. I'm trying to see if anyone knows of a similar product. I worked with it about 10 years ago, but I haven't done anything similar since.

Its a sort of malleble metal that you can work with your hands and then when it drys you can polish to a metallic sheen.

I want to cast something using styrofoam peanuts partially coated in Sculp Metal and then melt out the styrofoam.

I found a link that says how to make it, but I am horrible at making that kind of stuff and I'd rather buy it.

http://www.artstuf.com/Zardoz.fm$UPDATE?Username=77911&Password=3489&HTML =THE_ANSWER
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Level 4 user

Re: Sculp Metal, does anyone still make it?

Hi,

SculpMetal was great! I used it quite a bit, mainly spreding it on cement sculptures and the sanding and polishing it. Looked JUST like metal. It seemed to be composed of metal powder, in some form of a plastic vehicle/carrier. I never bought the solvent, acetone worked fine. It was manufactured in Pennsylvania, I forget where. They used to make a Bronze Sculptmetal, then Only Aluminum, then they apparantly went out of business.

The stuff was REALLY durable, and easy to work. As a substitute, you can mix powdered metal with cabosil thickened fiberglass resin, but if you are putting either fiberglass or the missing Sculptmetal on styrofoam, you will have to use aluminum foil as a barrier....other wise the peanuts will disolve.

There is another similar product, available through Fastenal....it is the same thing, as SculpMetal, but would'nt you know I lost the brochure. Call your local Fastenal, (Fastenall?) and maybe they have the stuff on display at their counter. I saw it.

Hope this helps,
Robert
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Level 6 user

I found a very old & dusty can of sculp metal and solvent in my basement years ago and thoroughly enjoyed painting it as a 'skin' over wire, tinfoil, and paper mache armatures then sanding/buffing it to a nice finish.

Once I used up the can I did a search for the supplier and learned that they were out of business - so sad.

If you are really motivated it is possible to make your own sculp metal like stuff since it is really just metal powder and lacquer.

Here is a link to someone with a similar suggestion to make your own
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Level 1 user

Thanks Robert

I found a Fastenal near me and it looks like the steel or aluminum putty is what I want. It does look expensive though.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...4&Ntpc=1&Nty=0

http://www.fastenal.com/catalog_pages/2004/1429.pdf
Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

Lab metal is an aluminum paste
It is great but pricey. You probably can mix bronze or other metal powders with a polyester brushable body filler from an auto parts store and regular creme hardener. You will have to make a couple of experimental batches. Unless you can come up will a lacquer based carrier that dryes with out a hardener like the lab metal.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Level 10 user

here is something else a little pricey for the resin but a wide choice of metal powders.plate all
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only