Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2004, 04:10 AM

and my favorite sculpture of the XX century is...

If you had to point out just one, which would be your choice?

My choice would be "homme et femme" (man and woman) by Giacometti in 1929.
Or.... no, I said just one.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Level 6 user

Re: and my favorite sculpture of the XX century is...

My first and probably last single choice would have to be;
"I am Beautiful" Rodin 1882, I know wrong century, but I think of this work atleast once a month, very often more. I may have been born in the wrong century. Having been a long term care giver, and coming from a southern male up bringing, it speaks volumes to me. Lately I have been thinking of Fritchies torsos. They remind me that there is a lot of power in the human form without exaggerated posturing.

Here is a link to an image of it.
http://www.artrenewal.org/images/art...e_Abductor.jpg
Old 01-08-2004, 04:58 PM

I could't open the link you mentionned ("page not found")

Rodin is an exceptionnal sculptor, of course, but definitely part of the XIX century. Most art historians agree 1911 or so as the beginning of modern art.
First generation includes Brancusi, Duchamp, Zadkine, Picasso, Matisse, Epstein, Arp.....

I couldn't find the sculpture I was speaking about on the net but here is a work of the same early period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giacometti03.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	323  
Old 01-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Level 6 user

I see your point. But I feel that seperating one camp of art from others can easily exclude subsets of the audience. I admire "modern art" but for extended periods of time it is not the language of myself or the people in my day to day life.

If I was nailed to the wall I would have to say that most of the time my favorite piece of art of the present century is often the piece I am currently working on. If it was not, I would be spending my time wrapped in the art of others. Of course sometimes we create art that is painful to us, to get something out of us, that we do not understand, until after the peice is done. Few would call that their favorite. Yet I learned as I have aged that the worse of times is truely often the best of times. For it is when the chips are down and we are there for our friends &/or family that we shine as human beings. It is such moments that get me through my darkest days even dacades later.

The first sculpture I ever considered doing was too painful to do at that time. And when I do finnaly set my self to doing it, my favorite works of Renoir, Rodin, and even Michelangelo and Beethoven will go out the window, and I will pour all that I am into bringing my favorite piece of art for that time in my life, to life.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:03 PM
ISC Member

A favorite piece is a very difficult choice. But I'll choose the attached or another example of Henry Moore's "Reclining Figure"(s), or even less figurative, more abstract works. I think he found and showed the way to a synthesis of Surrealism and Cubism, Figuration and Abstraction. In my own mind, I'm not yet so sure of anything that's come after him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	326  
Old 01-11-2004, 04:37 PM

Interresting choice Jwebb!
The fact that Henri Moore played with solid and empty parts, with light and shadow was quite innovative. There is still a lot to learn about the way he conceved the figurative abstraction.
even for us, artists of the XXI century....
Old 01-11-2004, 08:00 PM

Great idea for a thread, Anne.

I usually have trouble with choices like this...."pick your favorite ______"

I'll just go with my first instinct which is Boccioni's Development of a Bottle in Space (1913).
Attached Images

Last edited by obseq : 01-11-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Level 6 user

Boccioni's piece really connects with me today as I have spent the day chopping up and modifying sculpting tools. Even the color choice in this example is powerful. The moore example pleases immediatly vs the several pieces to form one human figure in some of his work. I really like this thread I hope a lot of people pop in.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Level 10 user

Chère Anne

I’ve a friend in Belgium whose mother collected the works of her bridge partner, Nell Wouters’ husband Rik Wouters. He has the head of Nell as the model for”La Folle Danseuse” because Rik ,”L’a trouve si belle qu’il l’a coupe dans la burre pour le faire founder apart”. Could you find the photo of the Muse d’Ixelle copy so that people can expand their horizons beyond the French border.

Rooooooooooooooberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr(t)

post sciptum

I've posted La Chaise under 'dem Bones

Last edited by rderr.com : 01-12-2004 at 01:05 PM. Reason: post scriptum
Old 01-12-2004, 04:37 PM

Rik Wouters is one of the major european sculptor of the end of the XIX / early XX century. contemporary of Rodin, he has also been a wel-known impresionnist painter.
I tumbnail the sculpture you refer "la danseuse folle" that he made after he saw Isadora Duncan performing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	34ilwtrs22.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	342  
Old 01-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Level 10 user

Merci Anne

She is better than my memeory. Can you find archives for Le Temple de Sexuality Human in the 50entnaire park by Jeff Lambeau?

RoooooooooooooooooooBerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrr(t)
Old 01-13-2004, 06:54 AM

I don't have pics of Jef Lambeaux. The day I buy a digital camera I promise I send you a pic of the temple located in the 50naire park as it is just a few blocks from my place. Meanwhile I am sure you can find some information on the net.
but his art is typically classical XIX century....
Old 01-16-2004, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq
Great idea for a thread, Anne.
I'll just go with my first instinct which is Boccioni's Development of a Bottle in Space (1913).
"Il futurismo"! they discovered so many new artistic languages: cinetic, abstraction, cubism etc...
I just visited a very interresting exhibition about this major art movement yesterday! . The "Development of a Bottle in Space" was not in unfortunatly, but I saw the Boccioni's most famous "Unique Forms of Continuity in Space".

Nobody has a favorite in the second part of the XXst century? Is the contemporary artistic production so poor?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:25 AM

This question is tormenting me! I don't know if I can pick my favorite... to place one great work over another, to create a hierarchy of greatness. And comparing works of different styles is like comparing apples to oranges. But I will lead off with a new favorite by an artist I recently discovered. Icarus III, in 1960 by Michael Ayrton. You can find more about him here: http://www.jclfa.com/Ayrton/ayrton.html But how do you compare a work like this with Locking Piece, in 1971 (bronze version) by Henry Moore? I just don't know.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MA-icarusIII-StPauls-London.gif
Views:	296
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	348  Click image for larger version

Name:	s_lh515fg.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	349  

Last edited by Araich : 01-16-2004 at 02:12 PM. Reason: to upload images you need to first save them locally
Old 01-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne (bxl)
"Il futurismo"! they discovered so many new artistic languages: cinetic, abstraction, cubism etc...
I just visited a very interresting exhibition about this major art movement yesterday! . The "Development of a Bottle in Space" was not in unfortunatly, but I saw the Boccioni's most famous "Unique Forms of Continuity in Space".

Nobody has a favorite in the second part of the XXst century? Is the contemporary artistic production so poor?
Anne - I see sculptorsam has responded that he had great difficulty with this question. I have also, and still am thinking about a reply, in between doing other things. I don’t think a person can choose a favorite in a field like this. I would prefer to use a succession of words. For “most memorable” I nominate Picasso’s goat made with bicycle parts and fur. It’s certainly not my “favorite” piece, though.

Under other titles, I would choose very different pieces. These will be posted as time permits. As for the Boccioni piece you name, I posted an image earlier, with the comment that I found it memorable but something I’d as soon forget.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie
Anne - I see sculptorsam has responded that he had great difficulty with this question. I have also, and still am thinking about a reply, in between doing other things. I don’t think a person can choose a favorite in a field like this.
"Favorite" is very subjective, I agree. It's not about an intellectual hierarchy. It's not the most important sculpture in art history. It's just an artwork that connects your sensitive personnal emotion.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Level 10 user

Chère Anne

You are right, favorite is not necessarily most important. At Mariemont there are very good examples of the conundrum. On one side there is the group “Bourgeois de Calais” by R. and on the other “Family” by Jeff Lambeaux. They are dated at about the same period. Of coarse the hands of the youngest member of the cortege are of MAJOR IMPORTANCE. But the tenderness of the mans hands on the rope of the ox where are seated wife and children is a favorite

Roooooooooooooooooooooberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr(t)
Old 01-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Level 6 user

I think of my personal favorite as the work that my mind returns to the most, not just when I am appreciating someones art or even thinking about my own. My favorite is simply the single work that does not symblize but instead is pointed to by the every day scenes at the grocery, the park, the book store.

Rodin's, I feel inappropriatly titled, "I am Beautiful."
Old 01-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Sculptor

Re: favorite sculpture; XX century is...; Rodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Casey
I think of my personal favorite as the work that my mind returns to the most, not just when I am appreciating someones art or even thinking about my own. My favorite is simply the single work that does not symblize but instead is pointed to by the every day scenes at the grocery, the park, the book store.

Rodin's, I feel inappropriatly titled, "I am Beautiful."
Stephen - I just clicked on this address and got a "page not found" message. I find that happens quite often with this source. It could be my browser or settings, but I think other people have had the same complaint. I think you somehow got a different address for the group when this happened earlier. Can you try for this one?

I’m not familiar with that title, though I am very fond of Rodin’s work in general.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:08 AM

Re: favorite sculpture; XX century is...; Rodin

It is the server trying to stop hotlinking. A good trick to learn is to cut and paste the address to your browser (instead of refering link) - this should work.

copy this to your browser address bar:

artrenewal.org/images/artists/r/Rodin_Auguste/large/I_Am_Beautiful_The_Abductor.jpg
Old 01-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Level 6 user

Yes I agree, in the future I will copy the words and not the shortcut and paste into post. But with the www. a the front as some browsers don't fill that in for us. As a past long term caregiver this piece has extra meaning to me. It may also explain my being a little over pretective of the women in my life. For me this seems the normal role for me as a man.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Level 6 user

Fritchie, does my link above work for you since I did it differantly?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Level 4 user

I have not seen too many works, and I do like lots of non figurtive sculpture like everything have seen of Arp but I don't know any titles. My one piece would be the Figurtive "Daughters of Odessa" by Frederick Hart.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
I have not seen too many works, and I do like lots of non figurtive sculpture like everything have seen of Arp but I don't know any titles. My one piece would be the Figurtive "Daughters of Odessa" by Frederick Hart.
lots of pictures from Hart on :
http://www.jeanstephengalleries.com/hart.html
Old 01-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Level 4 user

Thanks Anna