Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Construction techniques and processes
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Level 10 user

Glue Bonding Concrete Block?

This is a part of a "disjointed triptych" called "Nude Descending a Stairway to Heaven, No.X" that will be in this years SICA show. It is stacked concrete blocks (4"x 8"x 16" each). I plan to build this about 8 - 10 feet high. I'll most likely drive some rebar into the ground and pour a small footing pad to start assembling the blocks on top of. My question is can i glue the blocks together and if so what is the BEST concrete adhesive that's easily available? Also i'll have to rip it down at the end of the show (6 months) and get rid of all its pieces.

Picture is about 6' tall and blocks are just stacked, no adhesives or mortar.

Thanks in advance, Sub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NDSH320.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	8151  

Last edited by suburbanartists : 04-09-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Glue Bonding Concrete Block?

maybe you could bolt the blocks together?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Level 4 user

There's adhesives available for "gluing" masonry that's available in claulk-gun type tubes. Another thing that would work is polyurethane adhesive, that stuff will bond just about anything to anything.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Level 10 user

Where's the nude?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Level 10 user

I have used PL 400 and its cousins, 200, 600 and 800. Caulk style. But for a public work I would try to devise a hardware/fastening system. Make (blacksmith) some cool beefy brackets and use masonry anchors...would only add to the treat.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
ISC Member

Hilti-hit works real well on masonary installs.

"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Level 10 user

before going into structural integrity, glue, materials response to weather, ...

may I ask why you have chosen concrete block for this installation?

rod
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Level 10 user

If the over hang of each block is not great, but the total over hang of the assemble piece is. From the first block to the last top. And if the silly creatures will be able to get close with in arms reach,(or should I say hand reach). Make up a template to drill holes in each block. The sides next to each other would need to be matching hole sets. Using the carbide drill bit, should be short work as the cinder block is soft.
Assemble with bolts, and washers each side to spread the stress over a large distance. Use large sized bolts and washers at the base and lower end than.

This will only work if the silly creatures can not grab the sculpture with arms out raised and pick their feet off the ground. For the facebook and Stupid tube web site pictures.

You can use any acrylic caulk type adhesive in addition to the bolts.

As to removing it if it is just being turned in to pot hole filler. A short session with a two handed adjustment tool will due fine.

Do be aware that the acrylic polyethylene type adhesives for construction. Take a while to (dry) the thicker they are.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for the responses.

PT there really is not much overhang. You could almost drive a post straight down thru the center. The bottom is quite secure from the weight of the blocks above. The top is less secure and more easily rocked.

Eval yeah i was leaning toward the PL. My friend's kid glued his hand shut with that stuff and also glued the side of his truck. Playtime was quickly over.

Glenn exactly..... now if i placed a satisfied looking god figurine atop.....
but that's not where i was going with this.

Sculptor - Concrete block because i like it and it needs to be a basic construction material. The other pieces in this triptych are made from rebar and steel rod and wood siding. A construction vernacular theme for materials. Also a bit of reference to the original nude descending a staircase and dada

Also i'm striving to keep it as basic and simple in design and appearance as possible. Maybe too simple but that's the challenge.

It will be on a traffic island so not many will go out to touch, grab, pee on it.

I really want to stay away from bolts etc and have it be completely clean. Maybe too boring but i'll take that chance.

Right now as is, you would have to rock it a fair amount to topple it over.

Last edited by suburbanartists : 04-10-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Level 10 user

Ok
because you like it
an aesthetic choice

you may have guessed that concrete block wouldn't be my first choice for cantelevered overhangs (actually, way down on the list) especially on their sides where you're using them outside of their strength

you'll optomize the potential strength if you make sure that the block is solid where you drill through---even if you have to fill a little with mortar---then
rebar bends rather easily--but if you sink one end(bent in an L shape) into a footing, then thread the top and use a washer and bolt to snug everything down, you'll greatly reduce it's freedom to bend
then
PL yes---along with concrete bolts, i've used pl to hang lots of structural lumber on concrete & concrete block
bear in mind that the working time with the construction adhesives is in the neighborhood of 20 minutes
if you dry fit first, and mark your block edges where they contact each other
then glue and stack and glue and stack and glue and stack and glue and stack...
then snug down into the adhesive
should easily last your 6 months, years,decades,
dismanteling should be a hoot
Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 AM
Level 10 user

Sculptor thanks... yeah i realize the strength & brittleness issues with block but they just have to support themselves.

I like these particular block as they look like squashed faces to me. Hopefully doing the footing next week.

If i go say 9 -10 feet high. Do you think i should do it in stages? so as to not squeeze out the adhesive to much and also minimize the movement while it is curing?

I was thinking about 4 foot wait a day, 4 foot wait a day, and then finish?