Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Level 10 user

what to do when you lose your drive or passion

i seem to have hit a wall maybe like writers block or something. just curious what some of you guys do if and when this happens. i have been carving a little stone but just couldnt get into it. picked up a piece of wood same thing. looked around this site and the internet for insperation but just seemed to have lost it like a puff of smoke.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Level 10 user

Re: what to do when you lose your drive or passion

Don't worry about it one bit Chris, we artfarts can't be geniuses ALL the time. Sweep the studio, organize your bone-yard, buy some tools, FIX some broken ones, and theres always photography...the dreaded photography, apply for shows (paperwork) wash the truck...etc. And then, of course, there are things that have nothing at all to do with your ART...kids, guitars, rollercoasters and cheesebugers...

After a short time of such distractions you'll be swelled-up with enthusiasm, ready for a new creative explosion.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Level 10 user

Chris, get a job at McDonalds. I can almost guarantee that after a couple of days of flippin' burgers, you will suddenly have a sceaming urge to get the heck outta there and back to work in your studio!
Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Level 10 user

I like to pull out my sketch books. I usually keep them near by because I'm drawing all the time, but when i get in a funk, I like to look at old drawings and then start doodling. I never have a direction or idea (since I'm usually blocked at this point) and soon I start filling the pages. I also watch a lot of comedy. Laughter seems to bring out my creativity. Finally, like Evaldart said, I clean and organize my studio. This one can really do the trick because a cluttered studio is like a cluttered mind. It's hard to get around and find things.

If none of that works, pick up some clay and a bat and start smacking it around. It'll start looking like something eventually.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Level 10 user

freedom from drive or passion is a rare gift
freedom from desire or hunger is a rare gift

kick back and enjoy your gifts as they present themselves
Old 07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Level 10 user

when i get the funk i just start drinking,then all thats on your mind is how
much money did i spend!
the shop seems like a safe and happy place after that.
make a bad piece then move on.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
ISC Member

I find that a mental block is like a wall that you have made all by yourself to wall yourself in. This wall has to be ripped down.

For me, the way around that is to leave the studio for awhile - a day or less. Go do something exciting or at the very least different - have a play day with someone you love. Make sure that you are far away from your studio - at least a couple of miles. Stay completely away for a day.

I find that after awhile I start thinking about the next design - while I am away. The next day go out to your studio and clean it up or rearrange it.

Next thing you know you will quit the boring task of cleaning up and start working at your art.

If all else fails, visualize in your mind working at Hardees or McD's. Think about the zen of the hot grease, short tempered demanding customers, standing on your feet all day listening to nonsense from the "fry manager", getting home and reeking of burger juice from the 5,000 burgers you flipped that day. Christ, just talking about it makes me want to go back to the studio right now.

Carl
Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Level 4 user

Think about the people can't do anything with their hands because they are physically challenged.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Level 10 user

quote rustyjames <<...people can't do anything with their hands because they are physically challenged..>>

I cried because I had no shoes 'til I met a man who had no feet. Then I thought, "Stupid, he doesn't need shoes." But I did stop crying. The truth of the matter is that most people are physically (mentally is perhaps the better word) challenged. They really do prefer the plaster gnome.

If you Provoke
A Sacred thought
That is Referential
Then you've made art

RD
Old 07-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Level 10 user

'nuther silly bit of advice ...parable?..
"fill each minute with 60 seconds worth of distance run"...

here's a story:
Joe sixpack is sitting on his rocker on his front porch...just kicking back and having a beer, when he sees a guy trudging up the road dragging a huge logging chain...
a couple hours later, Joe sees the same guy walking back the other way, still dragging the chain....curiosity overruling his discretion, Joe gets up and walks out to the road and says
"'scuse me, Why are you dragging that chain?"
to which the stranger replies
"You ever try pushing one of these things?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Level 10 user

what to do when you lose your drive or passion

Marble dust inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHwhC_ncmU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	night day 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	8818  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09464.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8820  
Old 07-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Level 10 user

The beer thing does work for me, when I have a few and start rummaging through the leftovers and cut outs that I've saved from larger pieces.
I'll consider starting something that is completely out of my style and mind-set. That helps too. The cleaning of the shop gets me visually connected to all the raw stone and jawgs my memory of forgotten ideas. The sketch book comes out when I hit bottom. I have 3 to 4 tons of stone, and I tend to pick favorite stone types and ignore the rest. When I start looking at the others and consider doing something totally different with them, like "monolithic"
(hate that word) forms, that will usually bring me back to my true inspiration of pulling out the core drill and getting back to work on creating something with lots of negative space.

Mark
Old 07-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Level 9 user

Just give it a rest for a while, one day you'll feel the need again. I've stopped working numerous times. its a life's work.. you can have a break now & then, its still there, & it just makes it sweeter when you get back into it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Level 10 user

thanks for all the suggestions. i think a bit of a break doing something else will do it for me and i dont mean flippin burgers. although i have done the kfc burger joint deal but gave that up for suckin drywall dust. even though this may have a bit to do with depression i do very much appreciate where i am and what i got. i am a parent after all and know all to well that you need to eat your vegetables and be glad to sleep in a warm bed. theres people much less fortunate. i did buy a sketch pad only to find out i draw even worse than i thought i did. maybe a good time to try a short drawing coarse at the locale art center. i think i may have just burned myself out a bit. and beer and burgers and roller coasters kids and guitars are all as much gifts as is the drive and passion to create or the freedom to be at peace with the clarity of nothing at all. so i guess sometimes you just have to kick back and enjoy them as they come. get away for a couple days clean up my studio and not worry about it one bit. thanks guys
Old 07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Level 10 user

The willingness to create ebbs and flows like anything else and we are built to resist (at least to some degree) stagnation and repitition. The reason a word like "change" resonates so loudly with the masses is because it satisfies a need to do something else or something new.

New isn't always so great though, particularly when it interupts a good thing and it seems (or it seemed anyway) that you had a good thing going with the psychotic hair and face jobbies. Changing mediums can sometimes help, but I think learning how to recognize when you've taken something to its own end, it's natural conclusion, is better. That's why there are series, so artists can break-off and explore new things and change without having to flip pucks and shovel fries and wear paper hats.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Level 8 user

I`m surprised that no one suggested looking at art...or did I miss it? Go to a museum, check out some of your peer`s work. Go to a sculpture park, or better yet find some oddball outsider art site.

If art itself is pissing you off, go further back to the source, find and explore some natural beauty (whatever that means to you). Climb a mountain or plant a garden. Go fishing. Go to a dance recital, or do yoga. Watch athletes. Track down the oldest manmade thing in your part of the world. Read names at the oldest cemetery. Find something mechanical and take it apart...Go climb around inside a WWII era battleship or an old factory. Check out the assembly line at your local brewery.

Feed your head. Then go clean your studio and draw.

Bill
www.billwolff.net
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Level 10 user

You know, one thing I didn't mention that made a huge difference in a shift in my style and attitude. That was the 3 month Kitchen remodel last year that interrupted all my carving work. But when I went back, my mind was fresh as a daisy, and my drive was to envy. I cranked out 8 good pieces in under 6 weeks. It was like all my techniques and work experience were incapsulized during the hiatus and then released with stark clarity when I went back. It was just what I needed, a catylist for moving ahead.
The kitchen was a work of art, but on a totally different bent. That kept me sane and not jonesing to carve so bad.
If lack of good stone availability is part of the issue then you can also find, God knows, local landscape stone from landscape suppliers that is suitable for carving. I used to use schist for fountains and sell them like hotcakes. Schist, in my opinion, is suited for landscape scenery or settings, but it's common around Phoenix. I would go to a yard with thousands of tons of schist, piled 100' high, and find some fascinating natural forms, which I would take and enhance. Sometimes the raw shape was the best received once it sat in a water base and exuded water over the entire surface.
For what it's worth....There's always somewhere to go and be creative.
I won't bore the forum with pics of the kitchen as that really isn't sculpture

You'll get through it.

Mark
Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Level 10 user

In my case, one thing that helps is the diversification of media that I work in.
For most of the last year I was doing nothing but sculpting, and did not have time for painting. Then, I do three murals in a row, so the painting was fresh and fun. Then, after painting a while, I want to get back to working with three dimensional form, so I'm eager to sculpt again.

Getting out alone in quiet nature is also a good refreshment and recharge.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Chris,

one of my things is that I have a big box of tools that I have used for years and have died,
occasionally I feel the need to resurrect some of them for the service they have provided over the years.
this is an old black and decker, she provided years of faithful service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shoe 004 (Small).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	8824  Click image for larger version

Name:	shoe 010 (Small).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	8825  Click image for larger version

Name:	shoe 012 (Small).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	8826  
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Level 10 user

That is too funny!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
ISC Member

Hi, As Glenn said, "that is too funny!" and I'd love to see my girlfriend in a pair of those.
Personally, I've never in my life lost my passion for making art.
Drive is another thing altogether and sometimes when sales are down to nothing, galleries have dropped you or other of lifes problems creep in, it's hard to go into that studio every day and have that drive and focus which is necessary to do good work.
I try to go easy on myself, "let go and let God" or "learn to change the things you can and not worry about the things you can't".
I clean my studio, visit friends studios, talk, draw, and get my mind off of my "poor me" problems or attitude.
Eventually, and it usually doesn't take more than a day or two, I'm back into work because I know that making art is my life and it's what sustains me through thick and thin.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Level 10 user

What Bill said..."feed your head". Go out and get a visual fix. Mainlining some good work is the quickest way to remind yourself of what gets you high. If that doesn't work, do something you hate until it hurts real bad. Then seek relief.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Level 10 user

wow underfoot now thats pretty creative. i guess if your girl is wearing a pair of those you know theres a good chance your getting screwed

Last edited by chris 71 : 07-15-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Level 10 user

nope. It means shortly she will see right through you.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
nope. It means shortly she will see right through you.
well you could call that being screwed too or drilled