Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Construction techniques and processes
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Level 1 user

releasing wax from plaster

Hi, I'm new in this forum but have an urgent question. I am a practicing but self-taught sculptor and I am busy preparing a body new work for an upcoming show. I am taking life casts from a model using Modroc bandage for the moulds, and using vaseline on his skin to prevent sticking. I am then taking casts in casting wax and soaking the waste Modroc off with water. I am having trouble with the wax releasing from the plaster. I pre-soak the mould with water before applying the wax and then immerse the whole thing in water to dissolve the bandage. The results are varied. Where the vaseline has stuck to the mould, it forms a water-proof barrier which then sticks to the wax like the proverbial ... My questions are: is there a better material than vaseline? could I use a soap solution? how better could I treat the mould than with plain water? and so on. Help!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Level 1 user

Re: releasing wax from plaster

Well a week has gone by and no answers - thanks for the help! In fact I solved the problem for myself and pass the info on in case any one of you keen correspondants find it useful - the answer is liquid soap, both on the model and on the mould, and it lets you re-use the mould too! Should have thought of it earlier but there you have it.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Level 3 user

Hi,
Just scanning through the threads and dropped in on yours. I have been working with wax in plaster moulds recently and I too, have come across stubborn areas that won't release. Will try the soft soap method, so glad you came back with your findings, many thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Level 1 user

well it's not perfect but it is the best solution I have found yet. My best results have come from spraying the mould with plain water then painting on diluted soap. It is possible to re-damp the plaster as you go if you are careful.
so best of luck! If I finish them on time, I hope to have the products of all this in a show in London in April, so I'm very glad I found a solution even if an imperfect one.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Level 10 user

casting wax into plaster, provided no locking undercuts.. depends on wax temperature and a well soaked mould [water] slushing temperature for wax varies but there is a trick, melt the wax and let cool until [when blown upon] a faint skin appears on the surface, this is ideal. warming a fine brush and swiftly painting on the first layer gives a dependable surface.
as a suggestion try some real plaster, reinforced with bandage and if needed some steel, u may get more longevity and dependability. technically more challenging tho..

for wax spills..... damp the floor before casting, the wax will lift easy, can be dried and boiled up/sieved. no waste.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
ISC Member

Sorry I was not around to respond sooner, but you have hit on the "traditional" (European) mold release agent: liquid soap. My old professor, who studied in Paris under Aristide Maillol, called it "green soap", cuz it was green. Palm Olive smells best. Best regards and good fortune with that London show.