Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 PM
ISC Professional Member

Scams to Avoid

I found an interesting site that lists people and organizations who scam artists. It has included the Agora Gallery in NY and the Florence Biennale, both of which in my opinion belongs to this group of people and organizations to beware of.
I am bringing this to the attention of this forum as I was researching World Art Media who I found listed on this site.
If anyone has any scams to add the site I am sure that Mr. Robert Coane would be interested in hearing about them.
I think that this is an interesting service that is provided here and one that artists need to know about.

http://www.atelier-rc.com/Atelier.RC/Art_Alarm.html

Regards Blake
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Scams to Avoid

Curious link. Although it seems a bit sweeping in what it categorizes as scams – or should I say alleged scams. Pay-to-show is a viable option for some folks (a model for exhibition in some parts of the world) - and galleries DO have expenses that must be covered with every exhibition. Frankly, if an artist is considering a “vanity gallery” as a exhibition venue – the expectation should be one of high cost and low result. Even so – I imagine that for some this option is very rewarding.

I would hesitate to classify this website as providing a service – it seems rife with explosive language (and equally explosive graphics akin to conspiracy sites) but doesn’t offer much in the way of an objective critique of any of these so-called scam galleries/annual exhibitions. Links (the ones that worked) to forum discussions and email transcripts make a weak platform for building a case against these venues.

I’m not saying Coane isn’t right about his claims, it is just that it is hard to separate the legitimate complaints from a kind of whining by artists who think art and commerce are mutually exclusive or who simply are disillusioned due to years of rejection. Blake, you mentioned your agreement with the site regarding Agora and Florence Biennale – what was your experience? Why was it negative?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM
ISC Professional Member

The site is opinionated without question and as surprising as it seems that vanity galleries do have a place in the art world it is admittedly not a market that is studied. That is to say that most artists who show in a vanity gallery will not show again in another vanity gallery, as their expectation is now confirmed to be one of high cost and low result.
Therefore, I believe it is difficult to say that the vanity gallery is providing a worth while service to the artist and with artists realizing this, these galleries are forced to continually seek new entrants.
This would apply to Agora Gallery, having been in to see this gallery and speak with the management, I found it to be a closed shop, very few people other than tourists are going to actually go to this gallery with the idea of buying art, or even seeing art, not that there is not art to be seen there, just that in a very small art world their reputation has proceeded them. They lack the standards to be considered seriously by industry professionals and due to their location and lack of frontage they are literally missed by most tourists walking down the street in Chelsea. Which is a pity for the artists that pay to show there.

The Florence Biennale as well offers little value to the artists who pay to participate, and I speak from experience. The organization is not concerned with selling the art to the public or even showing the art to the public or to the art industry, it is about the Florence Biennale operating as a profitable business. What can I say, good for them.

In closing, I like the site as it gives another point of view, it suggests to artists that there are many scams out there and that they should beware of the unsolicited invitations and other offers that they may get from people and organizations who DO have expenses that must be covered with every exhibition and NEED artists to cover them.

It provides some insight into things that we (usually) innocent artists most often have to learn the hard way.
Regards Blake
Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Level 10 user

Its true, this site might well save some young artists some road-rash. But there are sooo many different venues with sooo many different goals for their enterprise (some are only in it for the "hipness" factor; some for the BIG bucks, some want to change art history, some just LOVE art, while others are obviously advantaging the desperation of the under-exhibited (under-accomplished). We all must learn and remember that we are in control of HOW we approach our own individual relationship to this creative life as it applies itself among the masses and the markets. The very same ingenuity and uniqueness that goes into our work will easily inform us when it comes to something so docile as affixing that work somehow amongst an art-starved community (and they are ALL always Art-starved...even NYC).
Be busy, be active, be aware and dont get suckered if you cant afford it. If you CAN afford it...by all means have fun...invite me to the opening and I'll chug a few glasses with you.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Only fools get involved with these rip off organizations.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Hi, Only fools get involved with these rip off organizations.
Have a great day,
Jeff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maiWu...eature=related

yeah, pretty cool, huh?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:05 PM
ISC Member

A fool and his money are soon parted but a fool and his chicken? That's psycho! Thanks for reviving that tune G.

The art scam website is quite something. Wonder what motivated it. No shortage of scammers out there. It pays to be aware and have as much info as possible. The biggest pitfall I've noticed is when people get into a gallery or a show and think they have it made. The successful artists keep pushing and standing guard over their creations as well as their business. Handing over blindly the dirty business side of art to someone is indeed a recipe for disaster. When selecting someone to entrust with your work, be certain they have a good reputation and can promise you big returns.

By the way Mr. Madoff, the factory warranty on your vehicle is about to expire.