Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Level 4 user

I got rejected for my first juried show

I decided it was time to start getting into shows after sculpting every day for almost 4 years. I submitted my entry to the Scottsdale Art School. It is my first bronze, a girl with a flowing dress on a a bunch of cushions. I had seen some of the winners and I didn't think it was that much better than mine. I thought I had a chance to win something. But nope, I just got rejected.

So now I am wondering if the piece wasn't that great. If there are any big problems please let me know, I don't want to keep making the same mistakes.

Thanks, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The French Girl 1.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	9271  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Level 10 user

Re: I got rejected for my first juried show

Just keep doing what you are doing and don't try to anticipate the tastes, moods or random whims of jurors.

I just juried a show a few weeks ago. I guess rejection letters were recently sent out as I have been getting emails from ticked off artists asking me why I didn't pick them. (Which I don't think is such a great idea.) Perhaps my response offer a bit of insight into the jurying process and slightly dilute your reaction to your recent disappointing response.

Thank you for your email. I am sure you are disappointed that your
work was not included in this year's exhibition. As a practicing
artist myself I know the sting of the rejection notice all too well.

Jurying a show is always very difficult especially if all the work
is quite good. Every juror has his or her own criteria for what does
and does not make it into an exhibition. My own decisions regarding
this year's exhibition focused on presenting a balanced show with
respect to the amount of work that would comfortably fit into the
hosting gallery space and the technical competence of the work (both
formally, such as in general composition, but also in material
execution). Additionally I was drawn to works that exhibited a level
of conceptual rigor - both in subject matter, as well as work
which seemed to be "pushing" the various genres in challenging
directions. Even with, so many things to consider, I am sure you can
appreciate that a juror's personal taste is also a factor.

There were A LOT of paintings this year far more than I expected based on last year submissions. As such, I felt obliged to be extremely selective with the work included. Unfortunately this required a good deal of very competent work to be left out of the exhibition. In the end I strongly support the notion that a highly selective exhibition serves the artistic community far better than an all-inclusive one.

I hope you continue to support the ART GROUP NAME and that
you apply again for the juried show in the future. I wish you the
best of luck in your studio and thank you on behalf of the ART GROUP NAME for your submission to this year's exhibition.

Keep entering shows. The work looks great. Your number will come up eventually.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 AM
ISC Professional Member

Musicman

Although I would have been able to wall paper a large room with all of the rejection letters that I have received, it is something that you have to do. Allot of galleries choose new artists based on competitions and my Florida gallery encourages me to enter as many as I can, because if you win a prise you can list it on your CV.(So what I think, but they think that it is important) I average 10 enteries per year and most years I am rejected by all 10. I try not to let these rejections break my heart but they do, every one. That's life and we are a sensitive bunch.

This is not a place to look for critiques.
If I might suggest that you be very careful with your measures as the hands and feet look small. I tend to make my hands and feet too big as it gives them more expression. Ensure that you have callipers and measure everything at least 5 times as measures are difficult to take. Work with a live model if you can, if not use yourself and measure from the joints, (ie. ulna to radius, that is wrist to elbow etc.)
If you post a few more pictures perhaps I might be able to help out more with this piece, but it looks good besides the proportions.
In any case, don't let the bastards get you down!
Keep going with all your heart and might!
Blake
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Level 9 user

Yeah i almost always get rejected, sometime u got to wonder WTF they want, like if you're writing a proposal before you make a work, & they can't even see your work is crap or not & they just reject it straight away- you got to know your skill as a sculptor is not being judged for those ones anyway, & why did i bother....

But others where i sent in an actual piece, yeah wallpaper the house with reject slips, i sure could.

i don't think i suck though, i just know the judges do! The aesthetically challenged bastards!

I try to select the comps by who the judges are (thats not worked yet to get me in, though i'm sure it kept me out of some i had absolutely no chance in) , and by what the subject is, if there is one... like if its an esoteric subject, like a religious prize, you got a better chance of getting a piece in if it works to the criteria, there is less competition....
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Level 10 user

Theres no rhyme or reason to it Musicman. It doesn't say anything about the quality of your work. Don't let it bug you one bit. If anything, it should stimulate you to apply MORE. Increase your chances numerically (just don't start forkin' over money to art-scammers). There are venues I have been rejected-by for a dozen years in a row. I should get the hint, I suppose, but when I have envisioned my mork in a certain environment I am stubborn - so I hit themn with a bigger whopper of a proposal every year. Those rejections have become tradition...I wouldn't feel right without it. Its all part of the game of "participation"...which most of us must endure. Get used to using some of the lesser hours of your existence packing these envelopes...and then let it go.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Level 5 user

its better to get rejected from the first show you enter than to not get rejected until much later. thats what happened to me. and i felt all self righteous because i had gotten into A, B, C and X, Y, Z juried show and who was the juror to think my work wasn't good enough for this one, and blah blah blah. then i realized, the piece i submitted sucked. i took it home with me. i lived with it. and gradually i could see all the things that juror must have seen in it. eventually i burned it. threw it in a camp fire and got it over with. ah. the joy of destroying your own work... not that i'm suggesting you melt down your bronze- it is quite good- for a figurative piece
Old 09-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Level 10 user

There is no apparent reason from the standpoint of a nice work of art why your piece should have been rejected by the show jurors. I have rarely seen a show where the jury has demonstrated a consistent standard of taste that I could fathom. You have to learn not to take it personally. Many times the rejected works would make a much better show than the accepted ones.

In all of the times I have entered either sculpture or painting to the juried Fine Art show at the Minnesota State Fair, the works have been rejected. Then I go to the show and see what has been accepted, and think, "Well, that explains it." The judges have mainly gone for the wacky, or the amateurish, or the loud colors, with a few exceptions. So I decided to stop wasting the trips down there to submit the work and back again to pick up the rejected work.

This year, the judges had different criteria than usual and a lot of works that I liked, some by friends who have a similar perspective as me, were accepted. I'm pretty sure I would have been accepted as well with those jurors. The thing is, you don't have any idea beforehand who they are or what they are looking for.
Still, within that show, none of the many pieces that I liked won juror awards, and all of the winning selections made me think that the jurors had taken some acid first before judging.

Other than the state fair, I have only entered about 5 shows over 20 years, only rejected once, ironically from a "religious" show (that seemed to favor dark, dreary, heavy Germanic Lutheran art), and won awards in 2 of them.
I don't show in galleries, so the shows have not been a priority for resume enhancement. I mainly just work on comissions.

I think you are on the right track artistically, and I don't know enough about the show and gallery game to be able to advise, other than to develop thick skin. When you read here whose works have been rejected, you will realize that you are in good company. Also, look at what passes for popular culture these days, and you'll realize that it is an uphill battle to let your harmony and peace penetrate the noise.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Level 10 user

Always try to look on the bright side..

It's better to wall paper your studio with rejection letters than it is with bounced checks.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Level 10 user

Musicman, I too have been rejected so many times I can't keep track (but I'm sure it's on the way to 200 by now). 10 years of rejections with a few acceptance letters. I've never been accepted by the NSS and when i look at the works that did get in I too wonder what is wrong with my work. But ultimately, I know it's not me, it's the jurors. There's a lot of politics involved with juried shows. Some are pure and their intentions are to show the best work. Others have specific goals or already know some of the artists they want to show.

You should also beware of gallery scams. It's hard to tell these days because I think even legit galleries are having open submissions (at $35 a pop) but have already chosen the artists who will be in the show. Imagine how much revenue you can bring in for the jury fee. Let's just say 100 people submit work, that's $3,500 to pay for the galleries overhead. They have a show once a month and they don't even have to sell well to get by.

Don't be discouraged by rejection, it's part of the game in this crazy lifestyle we've chosen. Just keep making your art and submit to as many shows as you can afford (at first) Then later you can get more selective and submit to maybe one or two shows a year. Like Blake said, a juried show is not the place to seek a critic.

Good luck brother,

Alfred
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Level 8 user

My guess is that your piece was too quiet/understated for the jury.

But that's the kind of thing I like -- so send me your name - and another jpg or two -- and I'll put you up on my site:

http://www.ilovefiguresculpture.com/...newcentury.htm
Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 PM
ISC Professional Member

Alfred
I was rejected by the NSS as well and then a friend pointed out that it was a "National" association and foreigners need not apply. I am more careful to consider the requirements before I apply now.
Then paper another piece of wall.
Blake
Old 09-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Sculptor

Much as I hate to say it MM, your rejection and this thread are educational for the sculpture community overall. My experience and opinions basically agree with the consensus - jurors have their own goals and may even have preselected winners or entrants.

Keep working in your own way, and develop ways to sell outside the shows. AND, beware of galleries or shows with entry fees. Some are legit but many are not.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Level 10 user

How big is this piece musicman? Jurors, regardless of taste, have a responsibility to flill a given space correctly and substantially. If a given work is too large or too small, that is enough to exclude it regardless of its other qualities.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
Jurors have their own goals and may even have preselected winners or entrants.
I have had the great pleasure of not only serving as a juror on several occasions but I have brought in jurors to select work at the various institutions with which I have been employed. ALL my experiences have been that the role of the juror is to assess the work at hand and to put together an exhibition that reflects the spirit of the organizers. Of course they too have personal preferences, but they almost always asked what we were looking for - both in terms of what was represented as well as the number of works that we might like to see in the final show.

I agree that some commercial spaces or artist run co-ops that have juried calls might have a bit more bias and practice the leading of their jurors - but overall, most calls from regional arts councils, local art centers, non-profit spaces and educational institutions - all of which seem to make up the bulk of these types of shows - are pretty legit and a great investment of an entry fee (win or lose).
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Level 10 user

Mark,

I read two questions into you post. Are you a good sculptor and is the judging fair.

Your work shows talent. You will be a "very good " sculptor but your still a year or two away from gaining the techincal skills you need. In that time you will look back at this work and see it's flaws.

There are a lot of good things to say about this piece, but it's not great. I can go into more detail but for now I would recommend you move on and not go to bronze for at least a year.

As for the judging, your work is realistic figurative and there is a huge cultural shift taking place. In the past that was all there was, with the modernist movement this type of work became passe. Now it's returning so the judges may well be biased or even hostile towards your work, but forget about that for a moment, what I sense is that you need validation as a artist. You have the natural talent to be good...being great depends on whether if you can get past "the girl on a couch" and explore what your spirit and soul have to say about your world.

G
Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Level 4 user

Wow, I was expecting to hear all about my technical faults but I realized getting rejected is part of the process. I appreciate all of the input and stories. It stung a little but I have made a committment to myself that this is what I am going to do. I will never give up.

I looked at my piece again today and I do realize it is not professional quality. I can see how it does not stand out as much as others. But I still like the piece and I love French Romanticism, which is the feeling I was trying to convey. But I finished this piece about a year ago and since then I think I have grown a lot. I had a chance to study at the Florence Academy of Art during the Summer and also discovered the magic of Marino Marini.

So under my current plan I am going to wait before I do any more bronzes for at least 6 months to a year to get better and develop more of a style.

And as someone mentioned I have noticed realistic figurative coming back. I was waking in La Jolla (the rich part of San Diego) and the biggest gallery suddenly had a bunch of realistic sculpture in the window. Some of it was lifesize. It looked to be in the style of Richard Macdonald but the gallery was closed and I couldn't make out the name. But I think that is a postive sign.

So thanks for the input and any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Sculptor

From post 14 (Cheesepaws) - "... to put together an exhibition that reflects the spirit of the organizers ..."

This seems to me you and I are saying the same thing in different words. Organizers know the kind of work they want, and that may vary all over the map. It may be a general view of the community involved, with a mix of many kinds of work; it may be mainly nonrepresentational; or representational, or ....

I think most opinions here may be summarized in "know what you're getting into before spending money or effort".
Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman92130 View Post
I looked at my piece again today and I do realize it is not professional quality. I can see how it does not stand out as much as others.

If anyone here (including Musicman) can post a picture of a reclining female nude of similar size -- made by anyone, famous or not --- which that person thinks is remarkably better than the piece we've been talking about-- I would certainly like to see it.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Level 10 user

I appreciate the sentiment of your challenge. And I don't at all take issue with the quality of Mark's work, which in the main I like very much.
The subject, however, is not nude.

As to a better piece, that is of course subjective. What comes to mind in general is the work of Bessie Potter Vonnoh, of which this piece is representative. There may be a better apples-to-apples comparison work in her repetoire, but this will have to do for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AYoungWomanBessiePotterVonnoh.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	9282  
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Level 10 user

One of my issues with the piece is that there are literally hundreds of "Female on a couch" Sculptures out there.

So here is something "nude" that excites me.

G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Woman bitten by a snake jpeg.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	9283  
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Level 8 user

Musicman's little figure felt so much like a nude -- it never occurred to me that it wasn't - but even so -- it's way different from the seriously maternal figure that Glenn just showed.

Giotto -- can you tell us more about the piece you've just shown? It seems like it might be a life size cemetery monument. Is it?

Can anyone else show a piece that's more like Musicman's ?

Perhaps, I just happen to like small, reclining romantic female figures more than the rest of you -- but if they're well done -- I never get tired of them. (and God knows I cast my share of them)

Just like I can listen to a thousand variations of "My Funny Valentine" -- if all of them are well sung.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Level 10 user

How about this piece by Eichinger ?

My last post was "Woman bitten by a snake"

G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eichinger jpeg.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	9284  
Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Level 10 user

Here is a good one, obviously not at the scale of Mark's piece. It is the Sleeping Hermaphrodite , located at the Louvre. It was an ancient marble that was "restored" by Bernini, who basically took the intact piece and sculpted the mattress setting for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hermaphrodite1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	9285  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hermaphrodite2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	9286  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hermaphrodite3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	9287  
Old 09-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Level 10 user

Rodin is always hard to beat....

G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rodin nude.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	9288  
Old 09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
ISC Professional Member

Here is a piece that was recently rejected in a competition...
Anyone care to speculate why?
Entitled "The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa"
Blake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	St-Teresa-900-web.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	9289  Click image for larger version

Name:	ST-Teresa-903-web.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	79.3 KB