Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Level 10 user

Artist defends surfing sculpture amid criticism

I agree the pose does not look like that of surfers, especially the two palms. It looks more like some Asian dance pose. And the stone base and what look like flowers at the back make things worse.

Amid criticism, artist defends Cardiff surfing sculpture

July 24, 2007, ENCINITAS -- The controversial Cardiff surfing sculpture is a misunderstood piece that is meant to show a skilled surfer performing a difficult maneuver, the sculptor who created the piece said Tuesday.

Some surfers say the statue misrepresents their sport, and that any decent surfer would never strike the pose sculptor Matthew Antichevich portrays in his sculpture.

Even as bloggers continue to flood the Internet with criticism, the 55-year-old artist said the cost of bronze kept him from fully elaborating his vision for "The Magic Carpet Ride" sculpture.

"I'm just kinda sad people don't understand what the surfer is doing," he said.....

Models of the sculpture show a surfer carving across the crest of a wave, looking for a place to land. .....

A boyish-looking surfer poses on his board, arms outstretched, hands and fingers pointed like those of a ballet dancer.

Critics say the surfer looks unnatural and effeminate; Antichevich disagrees.

Antichevich said he learned to surf in Cardiff and to sculpt in Florence, Italy, where he drew inspiration from the ancients.

With those and other credentials, Antichevich won a $92,000 commission to create the life-sized surfing sculpture now displayed at Chesterfield Drive and South Coast Highway 101. The city paid an additional $30,000 to install the piece. ....
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Artist defends surfing sculpture amid criticism

My opinion... The modeling of the form is very nice. The guy has some very good talent, which makes the following more puzzling: The pose is quite goofy, I agree that it does not depict the sport, but instead a unique and odd moment. Merlion is right about it looking like an Asian dance pose, or like his next move is to put his palms together over his head and do that psuedo-Egyptian head move.
The cost of bronze should not have prevented him from creating a decent frothy wave instead of seaweed salad, espcially since he opted for an oddly inappropriate large stone for the base. Or am I the oddball for working for next to nothing sometimes in order to do the job right?
If a stone base was desired, it would have helped to have it shaped like a wave instead of looking like he got stuck on a large rock too close to shore, dragged some seaweed up the board, and decided to do a funny dance for good measure.

GlennT
Old 07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Level 10 user

[

"I'm just kinda sad people don't understand what the surfer is doing," he said.....

I'm just kinda sad that the sculptor does'nt understand what a surfer does.
he obviously doesn't surf , thats ok, but a little research wouldn't have hurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arnette_Pro_Junior_04[1].jpg
Views:	452
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	6658  Click image for larger version

Name:	Arnette_Pro_Junior_07[1].jpg
Views:	449
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	6659  
Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Sculptor

As often, I agree with GlennT. Those "flowers" mentioned by Merlion pretty obviously are meant to represent waves cresting or crashing near the board, and if that was all that was wrong, the piece could be good. The body overall is very well done, showing quite a bit of sculptural talent and skill, but the pose is way off for a surfer, and the facial expression is plain silly. A look of anticipation was intended, I expect, but that's not how I read it.

Before I gave up TV some years back, I often caught surfing competitions through various sources, and this simply is not a balanced, active pose under any conditions. The images posted by Underfoot are good, with two very different, wide-armed moments. The one with the torso more folded probably is more typical under difficult, instantaneous conditions, but the open one would make a better sculpture.

Actually, that person seems to be riding a pipe, and that's not a generally very dynamic form for sculpture. Difficult to do, clearly, but a better pose would be with a wave cresting, as was chosen, and with the rider at a better moment, in a more open form.

[Added later, and those who know better, please forgive the errors.] No pipe involved. The more open figure, on the left, clearly is just finishing a strong turn, maybe 270 degrees. The one on the right, with a more folded pose, also seems to be finishing a turn, but at the end of a wave, and probably near shore.]

Last edited by fritchie : 07-26-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Level 6 user

Wink 'kinda sad people don't understand'

Well I tried to follow the sculptors comments and I came up with this scenario.

The guy started his sculpt with the figure and ran out of money to include the necessary CONTEXT for his figure's pose to be understood.

If that pose is supposed to be of a figure throwing his hands out to counter balance the dynamic forces in action when surfing like when one has crested a wave/ riding down the face of a wave/executing a turn on a wave and/or has their center of gravity + inertial energy determining their pose at any given moment entirely determined by their relationship to the wave - you had damn well better include the wave in your sculpt or else you wind up with what this guy has got - a boatload of criticism for an incomprehensible pose.

If he need to make the wave out of paper mache and mount the bronze element on the wave, oriented in a way that makes the pose make sense, then that is what he has to do. Cut costs and wind up with a less 'elegant' mixed media piece instead of a hugely expensive 'bronze wave and rider' sculpt.

It comes down to poor planning - choosing a figure pose that is too context specific to be understood and then not including the context gets you a situation like this artist has. It's a shame too, the figure isn't all that bad and that bronze costs a LOT = money wasted now (and reputation smeared).

It is a lesson for anyone who wants to do 'action' sculpts - choose that pose carefully - make sure the project 'works'.

*Cue the Surfaris: WIPEOUT!*

Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Level 10 user

hmmm just looking at the asymetry of the abs and the belly,the stilted pose,
bodycast perhaps ?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Level 1 user

I am a skateboarder , been sk8n 4 16 plus years . My first impression would be of a 9-12 year old boy on his first wave that he ever caught not sure how to move and where or how he shold be possed. I really like his choise definatly not one that many before have taken. bravo
Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Sculptor

I've done a little more research on this, since the artist and critics seem to be on different planets. Here's http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007...2207194940.txt a news article from a local paper, North County Times, with more background from local officials.

One of the principal organizers, Mike Clark, says some of the critics seemed to want a sculpture depicting a professional athlete in top form. From the article: ... But, he said, "we purposely didn't want to make it an Olympic Adonis," Clark said. "We wanted the everyday kid who uses the reef to surf."

My impression is that the surfer was body cast, with the head either "body cast" separately or, less likely, modeled. I couldn't find much on the artist, but here's http://www.triosgallery.com/artists_....php?artist=71 a gallery page with alternate concepts he submitted for the competition. Altogether, I'd say he did a good job with something that was bound to attract criticism. He seems to be a surfer first and a sculptor second.
Not unlike many of us, in a way.

The granite block, by the way, is much taller overall than the surfer and is intended to be part of a conceptual wave form.

Last edited by fritchie : 07-26-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Level 10 user

I have been on every sort of board you can ride skate snow wake surf ... this is not what some one looks like even there first time. The problem is not the lack of a wave its the lack of effort. I dont know too much about the price of bronze but 92000 is a lot of any other sort of metal so i bet its not about the money. Or is it this guy must be a greedy fool thinking he could pass off some silly crap he probably adapted from another piece he made and get the big pay day with out the work. sad the state of work ethic these days .